.

Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Social work Essay Example | Topics and Well Written Essays - 1000 words

brotherly work - Essay ExampleShe whitethorn not point realize how jaded and judgmental he/she has become. This is clearly someone who has never taken the time to realize and address their take ignorances, assumptions, and embraced stereotypes that could make them slight helpful and more of a hindrance. Such people lack the egotism-awareness that, I think, is so important to the flying field of hearty work and the kind of worker that I hope to be. Alice Miller, in Anne Bishops Becoming an henchman Breaking the Cycle of Oppression in People, says that without self awareness and an ability to connect with those you aid batch become just let out of a routine and that, morality and performance of duty are slushy measures(2002) In my mind this is a prime example of this line of thinking. This woman does her job, but she lacks empathy or even sympathy, but can, probably, fake it under the right circumstances. This is why it is essential for social workers to withstand an unders tanding of their own histories, backgrounds, biases, founded or unfounded, before they will ever be truly effective in their position. How effective a social worker will be in helping others is directly related ain beliefs, attitudes and outlooks, and how self aware they are.(Heydt & Sherman, 2005) It would be very easy for someone with discriminatory thinking or unresolved personal issues be inadvertently expressed in ways that cam impede the good works that a social worker is supposed to do. A social worker must take the time to self-evaluate, even if it agent discovering things about yourself that you are not necessarily proud of. Knowing your strengths, weaknesses, and flaws make you a more finish up person that can actually be beneficial to those with whom they are working. Having the right tools are essential to finish any task. A plumber is of little use without a pipe wrench. Social workers are no different, except the tool that they use to complete their tasks and achie ve their goals is themselves.(Heydt & Sherman, 2005) Self awareness is the core of ethical practices.(Lipschutz, 2012 ) That said, it whitethorn be difficult to genuinely perform their jobs ethically unless they are committed to becoming self-aware. In 2003, Sheafor and Horejsi, listed the eight-spot most common factors that can be an interference in the helping of others and are recommended as part of a social workers self-awareness check-list personal issues, appearance (clothing and grooming), behaviors that devalue or degrade others, distracting personal habits, difficulties in verbal communication, difficulties in cognitive functioning, problems in written communication, and poor work habits. Having reviewed all of these items, I find that I have no overwhelming or overpowering personal issues that might negatively affect my forthcoming works. I, always, attempt to dress and present myself professionally and appropriately for the work environment. I do not move in intentiona lly degrading or insulting behaviors. I have never been told that I have any distracting personal habits. I am a strong communicator, both, verbally and in written endeavors. Lastly, I think I have, both, positive and efficient work habits. That said, I am by no content perfect. There is much that I still need to learn, about my work and the people that I may eventually help. Still I am comfortable with myself and

No comments:

Post a Comment